Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Branding

(Morning.  I'm near Lenore's desk, checking my mail.  She is watching a video on her computer of a cow being branded.)

Me: Learning to brand cattle?

Lenore: (wincing) Wha-? No, this is a video of my nephew and uncle.  Can you believe they still do this burning stuff to cows and things?

Me: Sure, I guess.

Lenore: I think it is just, just awful.  I hate when they hurt animals.  And he, my uncle, even hunts deer and shoots them!  (grabs chest in a gesture of disbelief)

Me: Some farmers just tag their herds with a spray or pierce the animals' ears.

Lenore: Like with earrings?  No!

Me: They're more like those censor tags like the ones they put on clothes so you don't steal them.

Lenore: Really?  So someone doesn't take a cow out of a field or something or the alarm will go off? 

 Me: Uh, I don't think any alarms go off, it's just to identify them as your cattle or sheep or whatever.

Lenore: I don't get any of it.  I just put collars on my cats and that seems to keep them around and my neighbors know they are mine.  You'd think they'd figure this out by now.

BLACKOUT


No comments:

Post a Comment